Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fanart Friday: Star Wars


Hey Kids!  I’ve got plans with some people tomorrow so I’m putting this up a little early.  Also I’ve been rather busy so I didn’t have time to put up a completed piece so here’s multiple pieces!
Anytime I draw semi-serious it always looks a little, manga-rific.

"Hope the old man got the tractor beam shut down or we're in for a real short trip."

I've never been able to draw Vader's helmet...EVER!



STAR WARS SON!

That’s right it’s everyone’s favorite trilogy before that bearded neck decided to go rebuild his legos. I would talk to you about how Star Wars is the biggest influence in my life and how it helped me find the friends I have today, but why would I tell you about your life.
 I’ve constantly been afraid that I would become George Lucas.  I kind of think it’s every artist’s personal nightmare to become a hack.  I see a lot of myself in the little weirdo; I’m ambitious, I want to control the stories I tell, and I love cheesy dialogue…mmmm…cheese.  I think the fear comes from having this sense of “it just isn’t what I imagined.” I’ve been told that every work an artist does is “80% perfection.”  A good chunk of artists would disagree with me and claim it to be lower.
Which is a little voice in every artists head, “it’s not good enough!  You should do it again!  Keep adding enough proverbial flab that would clog the arteries of even your most hardened characters!
If you want to be a good artist you have to set these fears aside and just push through with what you have then move on to the next piece.  Just strive to make the next work better than the last and you’ll find yourself improving vastly.  Don’t worry if it’s good enough for other people; worry if it’s good for you.  It’s a balancing act though, think too much about what you want and not enough of your audience at all and you will end up just failing.

Going back to George Lucas though, he get’s far too much credit for “creating” Star Wars.  Great movies like that are only created through a collaborative effort between many, many talented people.  The idea that all of Star Wars was just his will is a little preposterous.  The only reason he’s done some less than reputable work as of late is because he’s George Lucas and no one dares question him.   Boy’s got too many of dem Yes Men. (cue Jim Carrey joke.)
It is an interesting thought that he might have had an entirely different movie in his head and what came out was something he despised but everyone loved.  That seems to be a trend with quite a few artists I’ve talked to.  The project they poured their heart and soul into ends up being dwarfed by the shadow of something they took maybe five minutes to work on with little thought behind it. 
I’m a big believer that the world is fueled by dramatic irony and I try to plan my life around it if possible.  

Also, here's a couple I drew when I was watching a movie with some friends.  
GUESS THE MOVIE! 
"That rug really tied the room together."



No comments:

Post a Comment