Friday, June 17, 2011

Fanart Friday: Scooby-Doo

Alright sports fans another new Fanart Friday submission, this week it's Scooby-Dooby-Doo!  I just did that.  Scooby is SO hard to draw!  There is something about that dog's head that is just unfathomably difficult for me. Derpy-derpy-doo! is more like it...sheesh.  

I love the new Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated.

It's so nice to actually have some Character development from our favorite super sleuths.  It is actually pretty surprising that these characters have survived throughout the decades without any real development, strike that, any interesting development.

I watched the formulaic original Scooby-Doo all the time as a kid and loved every second of it.  I saw the formula when I was little but it didn't bother me any because I was young and that kind of thing hadn't begun to shatter be suspension of disbelief.  That and I had a huge crush on Velma.  I'm not afraid of it either; ask any guy out there who likes girls with glasses what the most likely catalyst for the obsession, nine times out of ten it's Velma.

The New Scooby-Doo Movies was the best thing on television!  Every time I watched the opening credits I hoped and prayed that it would be one of the episodes where the gang met up with Batman!  It was usually the Harlem Globetrotters though, they weren't as funny to me.  I used to watch the old 60's Batman on TVLand also, so when Batman and Robin teamed up with Scooby and Shaggy, I was in heaven!  I always loved asking my dad who each of the guest stars were each episode.   I really enjoy learning about pop culture and it's history.  There were always some great ones: Johnathan Winters, Mama Cass, Three stooges, Don Friggin' Knotts!

NIP IT IN THE BUD!

 Then I got older and the shows got weirder with scrappy-doo...oof; and don't even get me started on that whole Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo nonsence.  Flim Flam is a human Scrappy-Doo, who is already in the show!  Two of the same characters, why!? He was stupid, small, and annoying, just like Scrappy.  "Ho boy guys I'm fulla piss n' vinegar!  Let's go on an adventure!"  I think he had an annoying catchphrase like every other cartoon character and I'm sure that every time it was uttered it chipped another piece of my innocence away revealing the cynic within.  I'd like to find the executive who thought this character was so perfect for this show that they had to get rid of Velma and punch him in the eye.  Vincent Price was awesome though.

Con artist! More like yawn artist. Amirite?

What's New Scooby-Doo should've been put down out the gate.  That was just awful.  The characters were just boring rehashes of the original cast.  Nothing new was attempted.  It was just a cash grab.  I didn't think the show could get anymore pedestrian than the original show. The mysteries weren't even interesting.  Yeah, it's a show for kids and they should be easy, but not less interesting than what's going on in the dryer.

HU-DUUUUURRRRR


They have a lot of great call backs to these old shows in Mystery Incorporated as well as treat them as canonical (even the awful live-action movies).  Vincent Price (Maurice LaMaurche) is Scooby and Shaggy's favorite horror movie actor.  There're tons of movie references, caricatures of 70's icons, and the voice actors have a lot of fun carrying on the Hannah-Barbara tradition of their characters being parodies of other comedians and character actors. Speaking of voice acting, did you know the guy who played Shaggy in the live-action movie plays Shaggy in the show?  Hand to God!  Casey Kasem plays his dad though which I find hilarious. Oh, and Lewis Black's in it too!

Anyway, I'm rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment